Thursday, August 11, 2011

Non-Conventional Thinking. (Or, Why no con?)

Hello all!

Wizardworld Comiccon is this week, and as usual whenever there is any major con I can't make, I'm of course very sad I can't be there. Same with San Diego last month...and for those not following the news, Wizardworld decided to cancel the New England Comiccon...which, as luck would have it, was
the next con we were scheduled to attend.



Denied.



With New England cancelled (for this year at least) several people have asked me if we'd be hitting another con, like New York, to make up for it. Unfortunatly, as of right now...the answer is...no.
So why are there no cons on our schedule?

Well...you see, the only reason I was going to be able to attend the New England Con at all, is because of how close to home it is. And the fact that I'd be able to leave at a moment's notice if needed. You see, the con was scheduled for September 17, and 18th. But thats not the only thing that is "scheduled" for that day.....
....my wife's DUE date.

Yup, the Con was supposed to go down the same day my wife is due to give birth to our second child.  Now I know that usually due dates are about as accurate as the average weatherman, but odds were I would either have an extremely pregnant wife, or a very tiny new baby during that weekend. And despite my best efforts to convince my wife come come to the con cosplaying as pregnant Padme, I knew I'd have to be ready to leave at a moment's notice.

Quote my wife: "Not a freakin' chance."

Actually, once I told me wife the con was cancelled, her response was "Good." To be fair, it was incredibly understanding of her to agree to let me do the con in the first place, circumstances being what they are. But letting me do a convention 20 minutes from where we live is a WORLD of different than letting me do a convention 4-5 hours a way. So really anytime between now and the end of the year is probably not a time I should be packing up the books and driving to another state.
And to be honest, I wouldn't want to. I'm not SO much of a comic book geek that going to a convention would actually be MORE important to me than the birth of my child.


Although, I am enough of a geek that I would have brought a miniature Princess Leia outfit to the con if I HAD convinced her to come. You know, just in case.
-Chris

No comments:

Post a Comment